Sunday, January 15, 2012

Continuing the journey....

Over three hundred days ago, I began my challenge to practice yoga for 100 consecutive days. The roadblocks of confusion, directionality, age, lack of coordination-strength-flexibility, and fear of the unknown are becoming memories rather than my daily reality. I really like feeling strong, my husband playing with my new muscles, buying clothes with single digit sizes and yoga pants. I love yoga pants - and I must say I have acquired quite a collection.

I have tried every class that my neighborhood studio offers. Hot classes, yin classes, aerial classes, flow classes, restorative classes - Yoga East has them all. I have my favorites, and have learned how to fit a class into each day's schedule. Excepting Friday - I haven't been able to always fit in Fridays, but transferring my practice to home one day a week is a good thing.

I can stand on one foot now - in several balance poses. Even three weeks ago that wasn't happening consistently. Like so many things in my yoga journey, what seems impossible suddenly isn't. I can't do a handstand, but I'm very proud of my shoulder stand. I may never be able to bind my hands behind my back or under my thighs, or - I might suddenly realize I can do it next week or next year. It doesn't matter, I've learned to push myself toward new things, but relax as the process continues.

I sat today with about twenty people who are up for a ninety day yoga challenge. I wanted to hug every beginner and tell them that it is possible and worth every down dog they will attempt.

That's it - some ramblings as a year of yoga has almost been invested. More later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment