Thursday, July 14, 2011

Being Thankful

The very kind yoga instructor this morning was encouraging us to be kind to ourselves. His main point was to encourage us to not get impatient with ourselves when we weren't able to execute a pose to its fullest expression. That happens to me often in yoga. My first yoga instructor always talks about yoga as peeling a big onion. One never really gets to the fullest expression of a pose because there is always a way to make it harder or more challenging. I guess if one decided to be frustrated in yoga, they would always be frustrated in yoga - because you never arrive.

I am not always kind to myself. I get frustrated in all areas of my life when things aren't as I wish. To break this cycle, I have endeavored to employ thankfulness. Stopping and being thankful for all I have been provided, seeing God's gifts in my moment to moment life. Appreciating what is at my fingertips and recognizing things that I usually take for granted. I've heard people describe it as "an attitude of gratitude".

Are these two attitudes of being kind to oneself and being grateful related? More food for my thoughts.

1 comment: