Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Yoga and Children

Hmmmm.......I've been thinking, and sometimes that is dangerous, other times it's expensive, occasionally it's brilliant.



Working with young children has certainly been one of my life's callings. After working at a summer camp in college, I was hooked. I changed my major and have pretty much been working with young children in some capacity ever since.

I have always been able to incorporate my real world interests into my teaching world. Art, literature, my family, my pets....sharing things I am interested in keeps teaching interesting for me. I have been contemplating how I will weave my interest in yoga into my classroom practice.

I have thought about breathing and stretching breaks, I've thought about having a couple of mats in the room for children that might need to take a break from our routine. I've been picturing myself in child's pose when the students are off to special areas and I need a break!

Yesterday I started investigating becoming certified as a children's yoga instructor. I've been known to get a wild haired idea every now and then, and I am trying to determine if this fits into that category. What might I do with it? Maybe incorporate it into my classroom teaching. Maybe teach a class or two after school. Birthday parties? Retirement job?

Might be an interesting thought process, or maybe just a passing phase.....

1 comment:

  1. :-) I'm so glad we are friends. I'm so glad you are blogging. You enrich my life, and I'm grateful. It'll be interesting to see where/how this goes. I sense that I'm very close to being motivated to attend the Mon. pm gentle yoga class at St. Francis. I'll keep you posted. love & hugs

    ReplyDelete