Sunday, July 24, 2011

Yoga workshop = feeling great!

The yoga workshop was everything I expected and more. I was tickled that the first handout we were given was the same illustration that I posted on my blog yesterday. It turns out that we went through each element of a sun salutation and perfected our form and practiced doing it at the quicker pace that is typical of a power class.



My yoga self esteem was lifted as I realized that poses that at one time were so difficult to me now felt familiar. Rather than just learning how to get in the pose without killing myself, I was concentrating on polishing the pose and going deeper. I was astonished at how my body was cooperating - and especially impressed with my hip flexors. I must admit that just a few months ago "hip flexors" was not in my daily vocabulary.


I learned that the test for how your hip flexors are loosening up is what I call "Buddah Pose". I'm sure you have a picture of this in your head - sitting on the floor with knees bent and the bottom of your feet touching. Your flexors are pliable if your knees are approaching the floor. You are more flexible if you can move your feet closer to your body. Try it!  I'm sure my fellow teachers are saying  it's related to all those year sitting "criss cross applesauce" (yes, I still say that!).

Anyway - off to a yin class this afternoon. This week I am trying to get up early and go to a power class at 6:00 am. I know I'm ready for the power part, I'm not so sure about the early rising in the summer.....

No comments:

Post a Comment