Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Yin and Yang Yoga

One of my favorite yoga classes at Yoga-East is a combo of yin and yang. Yin poses are still, quiet, and held for a extended amount of time. I think this is important in my yoga practice because it stretches the deep inner connective tissues - especially in my hips, shoulders, and back. I know that especially in this phase of my life that I need to protect those joints in my aging body. Yin is also extremely relaxing!


In the Yin/Yang, we start with active poses. Just when I am starting to get tired, it's time for Yin. We come down to the mat. My very favorite yin pose is pigeon.  It stretches everything, and is so restful. After we come out of pigeon on each side, we do a counterpose - usually downward facing dog. It stretches the muscles in the opposite directions.

I certainly don't know for sure, but I feel like each yin class distances me from a future broken hip. Also, in the changes that I see in my body through the yoga experience, muscular thighs are top of the list (that's where I feel the stretch in pigeon).

Have to go put on my yoga pants for Yin/Yang class at noon. I have loved using summer to try new day time classes. I need to enjoy these days quickly - school starts back in just four weeks.

Again, these are not pictures of me.....just illustrations that I find on the web.

We start like this, but I have to put a blanket under the thigh that is extended to the back. 

We hold the pose for 5-8 minutes like this.



3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love piegon pose. But I am sure you know this.:) also love love love your blog. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really tickled that you are reading my blog. I am sure you noticed how often you are quoted. I've missed you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so wonderful- wish I could be learning/practicing all this with you in your classes! But this blog is a close second to that- thanks again for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete