Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day - Striking a balance pose!

Huge country music fan that I am, I blasted and repeated Martina McBride singing "Independence Day" all the way in to yoga. That song has nothing to do with the Independence of America, but somehow I feel less than American if I don't listen to it on the Fourth of July!

I was amused in class as the instructor talked about independence throughout our practice. We were approaching that time in each class that I dread - balance poses. The klutz that remains in me always shows up about this time in each class. We were doing a sequence of warrior poses - they are numbered, and the higher the number, the more I am challenged (and they only go up to 3). Warrior one - great, done. Warrior two - great, done with concentration. I know what is coming next. Warrior three - stand on one foot, lean over, extend the back foot (this is usually where I start wobbling), lean your head toward your toe (I never get this far), and extend your hands toward the foot that is up in the air (sure!).

Is my issue gravity? Weak muscles? Fear? Well, today, on day 120, I listened and followed the instructions and I did it. I didn't know I was going to do it. But I did as if I had always been able to do it - I felt like I was flying. If I want to show off some basic writing skills, I can call this my Independence Day pose. Did I break away from gravity, fear, or inexperience? I don't know, but it is a great little victory for me to celebrate....

No comments:

Post a Comment