Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A different kind of hot at yoga......

I faced my 58th birthday yesterday with bravery. I know I am getting on up there, but I feel fit and smart and ready for at least a few more good years. And then I went to yoga today.

I was greeted at the studio by the instructor. She was pleasant and friendly. Then, she said "You do know this is a power class". I smiled and said, "yes". She followed up with, "We get pretty active in this class." My reply, "good".  Her turn, "As soon as you get tired feel free to take child's pose". My voice said, "thanks", my head said, "not on your young little life".

I think I would have been ok if I had not heard her greeting the next student. " Hi, this is a power class and you look like you are built perfectly for it."

Concentrate, Denise. No judgement, right? But then.....

We were doing three legged dog. She came to adjust my pose, which I always appreciate. As she was adjusting my pose, she gave the suggestion to all that if they are "dog flippers" they could flip their dog.
She leaned over and said to me with a hint of sarcasm, "are you a dog flipper?" and then giggled as if there is no way that could be possible. If I had flipped my dog right at that moment, I would have kicked her in the face. I didn't but, I did think about it.

I am sure that it could be true that I am just too sensitive.  I know that I can learn many good lessons from her insensitive statements. I hope I never make anyone feel that way. I hope that I was outwardly gracious even though I was inwardly steamed.

I also hope that I never have to take her class again. And it wasn't even that hard!

The upside was that I was ticked enough that I forgot to stop on the way home for pretzel m&m's.

1 comment:

  1. ugh biatch! she should be fired from the yoga profession! and you should have kicked her in the face, I hope you did at least flip your dog right?

    ReplyDelete