Thursday, June 23, 2011

"Floating" into a pose

"Float your foot in the air." "Step or float to the front of your mat." "Float your hips toward the ceiling." I had heard the instruction before, but last night it seemed that every instruction began with the word "float". Yoga is usually a pretty quiet place, but I heard the words come from my mouth in the middle of class - "What is FLOAT?".

It took me 85 consecutive days of yoga to be able to step to the front of my mat. Apparently, stepping is not the final goal. I learned last night that the difference between stepping and floating is that in floating, the core muscles are doing most of the work. It's a matter of finesse. Moving in a controlled, slow manner uses more muscles and reaps more benefit. It's a goal in every move. Another layer of the onion to work on. OK, it makes sense. How long will it take for this to move from my brain to my actual practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment