Sunday, June 12, 2011

A New Perspective on Exercise

Being non athletic and uncoordinated, any exercise I have ever attempted has been from necessity, guilt, or discipline. I have never enjoyed an active endeavor. I've gone through walking phases with friends and enjoyed the conversation and social aspect, but not the walking. I've stuck with some exercise programs because I paid for them and felt obligated to get my money's worth. I used my treadmill for a while because I invested in it. I've also paid for months at the Y that I didn't use. My new perspective with Yoga is that I actually like it! Maybe it's the balance of exertion and relaxation - maybe it's that it is so complex that I am fascinated by it - maybe it's the friendly and social atmosphere of the studio. I'm not sure yet what it is, but it is a new feeling for me to like exercise.

Day 22 - I am very frustrated with a simple command - "step to the front of your mat". It seems simple, but I feel like a clutz having to break it down into so many steps. Sometimes I transition with table top, but that is still awkward. My instructor says, "be patient, get there however you can".

Day 24 - I think Pigeon is my new favorite pose. I discover that I can hold it as a yin pose with lots of props. Blanket under my thigh, bolster to support my forearms. The resulting stretch makes me feel taller.

Day 27 - Beth is home and we do a flow class and an aerial class together. Where does my daughter get her flexibility? Sharing some yoga classes with my adult daughter is really fun. She notices that I have improved since the first class we went to several weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment