Friday, June 10, 2011

Learning New Tricks

Every class brings it struggles, and every class seems to have a surprise. The surprise is generally something new that I can suddenly accomplish. Boom! Suddenly mind, strength, and flexibility meld into a successful pose. It catches me off guard each time and I want to exclaim my joy aloud. It's even better when the instructor notices and gets excited with me. I am also finding joy in having this new interest in my routine. There is a youthful feel to exploring and experiencing something new.

Day 16 - Having just become comfortable with downward dog, I am flabbergasted when an instructor offers "flipping your dog" as an option. People all around me turn upside down in the pose. I know, "my mat, my time, my practice", but I can't help but wonder - "how the heck did they do THAT?".

Day 18 - My knees are gaining flexibility, but my rear still is too high in the air during child's pose. My dear instructor sat on my back during child's pose tonight. I was quite surprised with how nice the resulting stretch felt.

Day 21 - I realize I love the props in the studio. I have a special attachment to the bolsters. I learn how to wrap a strap (another handy prop) around my waste, around my feet (in buddha position) and lay back on my bolster. Another wonderful trick for a good stretch!

No comments:

Post a Comment