Monday, June 13, 2011

The Spiritual Side of Yoga

Many people think of Yoga as a spiritual journey. Hmmmm, is this a spiritual journey for me? Not really. Is being more fit good for my spiritual life? Probably. Does relaxing give me more time to "be still and know that He is God?" Of course. Do I find my time on my mat to be a spiritual adventure? No. Why? I'm not sure. It's much more physical and mental to me than spiritual. No judgement here - just my thoughts.

Day 35 - I strive for a balanced life, but I have no sense of balance on my mat. Tree, airplane, and warrior 3 are always assisted by a wall that I step close to.

Day 37 - I find that I yearn to go to yoga and stretch. I steal little snippets of time during the day to elongate my body. I guess for 57 years my muscles have been compacted and ignored.

Day 40 - I can't work the studio into my schedule today. I work out to my trusty beginner's class on Exercise TV. I discover that it is way too easy and not a challenge. I must be making progress.

1 comment:

  1. For me the spiritual side is the way they encourage you to be in the moment where you are and to let everything else go, for that moment at least. And how they remind you to be thankful for where you are and your practice how it is no matter what your own judgments or expectations on yourself are. You are where you're supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete